Monday, October 22, 2012

Operation MILF

I like to joke that 2008 was my year.  I was 26, mostly single, and in the best shape of my life.  After leaving a bad relationship in September 2007, I went from weighing 200 pounds to 160 pounds in 13 months.  I was taking pole dance lessons two times a week and walk/running every other day.  I never looked (or felt) so great.


I knew having a baby would be hard, but I never imagined the toll it would have on my body.  I didn’t exercise as much.  I was more sedentary all day and night.  I ate!  I never stressed though.  I figured how hard could it possibly be to lose the baby weight?  Well, 80 pounds later, here I am.  


{Here I am with Dave at my shower.  There were a lot more flattering pictures taken, but I think this really shows me at my heaviest.  Eeks!}

I had Dax via c section on March 8th, 2012.  I would say the first week I had to have lost close to 30 pounds.  It was awesome and I wasn’t even doing anything hard.  I was just trying to survive with a newborn.  But then my weight stalled.  I tried not to stress it out because 30 pounds lost is a SUPER BIG DEAL!!!  Over the next few months I started to find my rhythm as a mom.  I even lost 5 more pounds.  Then I saw this picture of me on Facebook from my Uncle’s birthday party in July.


Holy $&#@!!!  That’s me!!!  How is that me?!?!?  I’m HUGE!!!  And I lost 35 pounds!!!!!!  

Well, 35 pounds is all great and good, but I was 253 pounds right before I had Dax.  I was 174 when I got pregnant.  That’s a 44 pound difference.  In my head, I knew I still looked different, but it didn’t really hit home until I saw this picture.  I was still eating like crap and I was no longer exercising.  What did I think would happen?  

It was after this that I decided to start Operation MILF.  I knew I had a long journey ahead of me and if I didn’t do it with a sense of humor, I would break down and cry.  I started (trying) to wear a little bit of makeup every day.  I bought new and flattering clothes even though they were two sizes bigger than prepregnancy.  I now drink more water.  Most importantly, I write everything down that goes in my mouth!!  I find counting calories or points to be too stressful, but writing everything down keeps me accountable and so far it is helping me take the weight off steadily.  

I love my son, but I lost a big part of my identity when I had him.  I knew it was time to reclaim myself.  Yes, I’m no longer the same woman I was last year, but that doesn’t mean I can no longer be happy with myself as a woman, not just as a mom.  I’m hoping to make this a recurring post, as a I share my journey with all of you.  Please feel free to share what inspires you, your goals, and what has helped you on your journey back to yourself after your pregnancy.  


October 22, 2012 Stats:

Height: 5’10
Weight: 209
Weight loss to date: 44 pounds
Goal: to exercise 100 minutes this week

~Christen
{Mommy of Dax since 3-8-12}

No comments:

Post a Comment