Thursday, October 25, 2012

Life with Two


6:35am Tuesday- the alarm is blaring. Ray is already awake and I can hear Clara screaming in her room. “Lord, give me the strength” I whisper to no one. I grab my glasses, turn off the alarm and head downstairs.

“What's going on?” I ask, knowing the answer even before it's spoken.
“What do you think? She doesn't want to get dressed.” Ray tells me matter of factly.
“all right” I say “I got it from here”

Ray, exasperated, goes off to brush his teeth and shave and I sit with our screaming three and a half year old.

“Clara?” I am speaking as calmly as possible- the wailing grows louder
“CLARA?” I say again a little louder, still not yelling “you need to get dressed and go to school”
The screams are louder and now Garrett is awake.
“RAY?” I scream “The baby is awake”
“Great” Ray says sarcastically
“Sorry” I shrugged
Clara is still screaming. Finally she dressed, Garrett is fed, my lunch is made and the nanny has come in the door. It's time to go to work.

This is a typical morning at our house. You would think after 3.5 years we'd be some what routined in what we do but we aren't because every day it seems that some new is happening. Such is life with two it seems.

I fully admit that after we had Clara I hadn't a clue what I was doing. Routine? Sleep training? Feeding? It was all a mystery. I had the standard 6 weeks off and it was rush back to work. Everything was new- breastfeeding (and pumping), dropping off and picking up a daycare, the late night feedings (three times a night, every night for months). This was the new “normal.” And it was normal and things were slowly okay. We got out for date nights, we went on vacations (without her) and we were doing the best we could. Then, I got the baby fever again.

Before I knew it Garrett was here and while I was a lot more self assured as a mother when he arrived, I could not prepare myself for the uptick in workload. It's true what they say “having two isn't twice the work, it's more like 5 times the work”- why? Because when you have one it's simple math two on one. You out number the kid, there is always someone to trade off with. Two on two is a lot harder to manage and maintain and if one of the two is particularly ornery or difficult (like Clara tends to be) it magnifies all flaws in the “plan” that is your life.  No longer can you trade off with your spouse when you get overwhelmed. If both kids are moody- well let's not talk about that.

And while things get crazy in this house from time to time (okay, most of the time) the best part of my day is sitting at dinner with both of my children, different in personality and demeanor and watch and listen to them. I listen while Clara tells me stories about her baby doll “Curly” and I listen as Garrett smacks his lips around some mashed potatoes, while Ray tells me about the new system they implemented at the hospital. For a girl who was told she might never have children these are the sounds I love. So the hustle and bustle of every day life may be too much to bear some days but in the end I am so happy to have my two little kiddos and the world's most amazing father as my husband.

 ~ CPP

No comments:

Post a Comment