Tuesday, October 23, 2012

My Little Buddy Samuel

I have The Bump to thank for some amazing friendships.  One of the best of them all, my friend Desirae.   I will never forget the day of Des's A/S.  We were chatting (as we almost always were) and she came to tell us the news.  They had seen a problem with Samuel's heart.  I couldn't believe it.  Looking back though, I had no idea what that really meant.  Des was so strong, so optimistic, and so completely calm - she took my worry away.  I remember thinking, as I so often would - "Everything will be fine".  The next few months I would get texts from doctor's appointments and  updates on everything from strollers to heart doctors.  I couldn't wait to see that little boy!!

Des was induced at 38 weeks.   I had my phone by me constantly, getting the occasional update - waiting to see pictures of that adorable, squishy baby!  He arrived via C-Section Sept 29, 2011.  Then things began to sink in - this tiny little baby, needed a pretty big gift - he needed a new heart.   I really began to think about that and couldn't believe how strong Desirae had been.  As often as we talked, she not once complained about her situation.

When Samuel was one month old he got his new heart.  I couldn't believe how quickly it had happened - you never really know with those things.  Over the next several months Des and Samuel lived between the hospital and the Ronald McDonald House.  Over an hour away from home and family.  But eventually, they were able to go home.

Over the last year, I have watched Samuel grow into a toddler!  You would never know that this little boy has had such a rough start.  He is so active and his pictures instantly put a smile on my face.   It has been about a year since Samuel got his new heart, and through some routine testing - they have discovered that he is rejecting it.  My heart fell when I read that update, and he has been on my mind every day since.  He has been back in the hospital for treatment and will be back several times a week while they monitor his condition.    If you would like to follow Samuel's journey, you can see my friend Desirae's blog http://goingwiththelastingers.blogspot.com.  And if you would like to help my little buddy Samuel - you can donate towards his heart by clicking the button below.

~ Meagan
{Mom to Maddox since 03/08/12}


No comments:

Post a Comment